Thread: Race Tires 2017
View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #59
Twinshock750
ninjette.org member

Name: Alistair

Motorcycle(s): CMR TZ750 Yamaha, McIntosh TZ350 Yamaha, OW01 Yamaha, 300 Ninja Lightweight production Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
Having worked in the urethane casting industry I can tell you that durometer readings are not directly related to grip. Case I point: Many race tires are harder at cooler ambient temperatures than street tires, yet they get considerably gripper when brought up to temperature. Yes, they get softer, but that is when they are heated by warmers or use. So checking durometer readings of various tires at ambient temps is of no value. By the way, you do know that the A13 is a multi compound tire right? So where you take your durometer readings would make a difference in the result.

As for the A13 SPs I am using them on my endurance bike. They work ok, but they aren't as good as the Pirelli Supercorsas. We are winning on the A13s but if the competition got tougher I'd go to the Pirellis in a heartbeat. They are a more confidence inspiring tire for me. And absolutely no need to run the 150 width on a 250. 140 works great.
Thanks for the feedback on the 13SP's. One of the things that I know about my riding is that when I have confidence in the front end, I go okay. No confidence, no speed....

Was it a better feel of what is happening that gave the confidence? As well as I found the 13's (non sp) to grip, the feedback just wasn't there the same as the RS10 front had.

Interestingy, Avalon Biddle (kiwi lady who is running in 300 SuperSport world championship on a Ninja). Before she headed off to Europe she rode a few laps on my 300 to get a few miles on one (never ridden a Ex300 before, but lots of little bike racing experience). While she weighs probably 50kg vs my 85+ and my bike is sprung for me, her immediate comments were:
1) what a great motor
2) more tellingly, "the feeling from the front end is like the tyre is cold"

Yours and Zaph's comments about durometers noted. The more data you have I think the more you can understand and we are still early on in the game. Will keep logging but also note hot measurements - especially also on the bigger bikes in the stable (The TZ750 and OW on their Dunlop GP's) as to how they shape up when warm.