View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
1/8-1/4 at 2000 rpm?

Play with your float height. Factory spec says 17mm +or- 2mm. That's a ton of adjustment range. I found with pod filters and floats at exactly 17mm, there was a huuuuuuge hesitation at exactly that range. I could snap the throttle further open and get into my needle range, but parking lots and low speed maneuvers were annoying. My issue was worse when cold than hot. I've since raised the floats 1mm to 16mm height and it seems better. Will try another mm soon to see if that cures it completely. YMMV and this takes some testing. As said above, make one small change at a time and then test.

If your issue is worse when cold but goes away some when hot, raise the floats (reduce the float height).

If your issue is worse when hot than when cool, lower the floast (increase float height).

Also humor us and make sure that there are no broken vacuum hoses or loose vacuum hoses to rule that out as an issue. Vacuum leak can sometimes cause the issue you're describing.

As mentioned above, there is a theoretical argument for not using pods on a CV style carb. However, many have had good success on these bikes with using pod filters. They can be tuned well, they do still run reliably, they just make a ton of intake noise getting there and you will notice weather changes more with pods than with the airbox. That said, if you're willing to pull the intake runners out of your stock air box and stick your pod filters onto that, some say that can help smooth out your intake flow and help with consistency. I've found it really just makes the filter easier to remove from the carb to make removing the carb easier so it doesn't have to be maneuvered around the tank bracket. So far, no solid personal feedback on runners vs. no runners because of all the stinking rain the last 4 weeks. Yes, by switching to pods, you lose intake resonance. However, this is not an optimized supersport; they did not spend as much time as they could have in that department. Area P has shown on both the newgen 250 and the current 300 that pod filters make more power than the airbox and can be tuned well to deliver reliable and ride-able fueling.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote