View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #18
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
(SNIP)
I will voice my thoughts here: pod filters are not the bane of a CV carb's existance. Turbulent flow is. CV carbs like smooth flow. So if you can figure out how to reduce the restriction in the intake but keep the air flow smooth, you'll be fine. These airboxes are so simple that I really am not considering resonance to be a major consideration. heck, the pregen was designed in the late 80's and back then the box was stuck on there just to hold the air filter, forget about optimizing intake pressure based on intake pulses
I would agree.

That's why gains shown on the dyno (not moving) are not necessarily repeatable at speed - when airflow is much more turbulent and creating a vacuum instead of pressure.

I also agree that the Ninja's airbox isn't an advanced design tuned for resonance, but it does provide a smoother flow into the carb inlets than pods do. Drilling holes in the back of the box, as recommended by Leo Vince, sounds like a good solution. The sides of the airbox would shield the intake flow from most of the turbulent air rushing by at speed (and creating a vacuum) and also shield it from heat coming off of the engine.

Last futzed with by jkv45; July 13th, 2015 at 08:27 AM. Reason: typo
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote