View Single Post
Old November 21st, 2018, 11:37 AM   #19
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Questions on your rebuild:

1. What was state of cross-hatching on cylinders? Did you ball-hone cylinders?

2. what was piston-to-cylinder clearance?

3. what ring-gap did you use?
I used 45 degree cross hatch ball flex hone from Brush Research.

I just made sure the Top and Second rings were within the manual specs for clearance and gap, with new rings. Don't recall the exact numbers off the top of my head.

This is only my second motorcycle engine rebuild, so still learning. I may have mentioned it before but I learned what I know for aircraft, so having to do multiple tear-downs just to get to those numbers is a new concept to me.

That being said this is definitely not a competition engine by any means. The main goal of this rebuild was to revive the bike and learn, which this thread has definitely been helpful in that for future rebuilds.

A question so I can do a better job in the future though:

1. How do I reduce gap? I know how to increase, but not reduce.

I like your advice probably the most because of how detailed it is, which is very helpful since I enjoy engine work and would like to build a competition worthy engine in the near future. Thanks so much for the advice so far, I'm going to continue to post to this thread to learn more.

Also Triple Jim, your comment about there not being any "right way" and finding a different way everywhere you look is so true. The way I broke it in was based on two similar methods I found that were both with sport bikes. Needless to say after checking my numbers I wasn't too happy, which sparked this post. I'm still learning clearly, but I'm glad I posted since there's been so much help from the community. I must say, Ninjette is seriously the best forum so far I've ever used.
NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote