Thread: Draining carbs
View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2021, 05:53 PM   #1
rstnick
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R, 2000 ZRX1100C4, 1978 KZ650C2

Draining carbs

I drain the carbs on my bikes for Winter storage.
Have done so for years with no issues.
I have read some here like to leave gas in the carbs with a stabilizer.

That's fine either way.

What I want to know is if anyone has drilled a hole in the fairing to allow draining the carbs easier without having to remove the right side fairing?

I've got a long Carb drain tool, it's just a long Allan key with a screw driver type handle.
Bought it for draining the four ZRX carbs, as the drains all face to the right, and #s 1,2 & 3 can be hard to reach.
Works well on the KZ's four carbs too.
Also fits the Ninja's drain screws, as I drained the carbs last year.
I did have the fairings off last Winter, so it was easy to get the long reach carb drain tool in to drain the carbs.

Looking today, to drain the carbs, I see the fairing is in the way.
Now if there was a hole just in the right spot, I'd be able to get my long reach carb drain tool through the hole and drain the carbs.
I can see the drains when the right side cover is off, but no way a straight tool is going to reach and loosen the drain screws.
The tool comes at the screw at too much of an angle and will not fit into the drain screw.

Has anyone made an access hole in the right side fairing to be able to reach and drain the carbs, and where exactly did you make the hole?

I may just need to figure it out myself, as I cannot see myself removing the fairing each time.

The fairings will be coming off, as I will be changing the front turn signals this Winter, so the carbs will be drained.
Just hoping to make future years easier.

Last futzed with by rstnick; November 29th, 2021 at 07:34 AM.
rstnick is offline   Reply With Quote