Thread: PMR Barswitches
View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #13
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I sold some stuff on ebay to justify such an unnecessary, but awesome luxury. These would be unreasonably expensive if they were mass produced commercially, but since they come from a small machine shop in California the price actually seems about right.

The model is my 2014 CBR500r, and as of this post I don't have the bike fully back together yet, but the switches are mounted and wires run.

The PM-50 is intended to replace the front clamp on the clutch lever, so no extra real estate is needed on the bar itself. However, the Ninjette uses a different style of clamp, so as mentioned before this WILL work on the Ninjette with the additional PM-78B Black Barclamp ($40).

The PM-390S only needs about 5mm between the grip and switch-pod, and the grip was pretty easy to manipulate to make the necessary space. I added blue loctite to the little screws on the thumbswitch.

Front view: PM-50 (double barswitch - $80) & PM-390S (Thumbswitch - $100)

Here's the back of the switches (the barswitch is open in back). I used shrink-wrap, tubing, and zip-ties to clean it up. I MAY also switch to flag connectors on the barswitch, and shoot some silicon in there to seal it.

The left switch is currently wired as a trigger for my PDM-60 power distribution thingy. Initially I'm going to program it to switch aux power to GPS/USB supplies. The right switch is for the future, but I'd like to have it control a dash-cam system. Alternatively I may use it to turn my aux lights off, but I really don't need to turn them off. I guess I'm just a control freak, LOL.

The Thumbswitch comes with a momentary switch that I wired directly to my garage door opener (GDO). It has a very firm, satisfying, positive click to it. I didn't need to do this, but I wanted to save space under my pillion seat by ditching the DIY relay box I had previously wired to my GDO. This allowed me to also relocate the GDO to a spot that I wouldn't otherwise utilize (held in place with velcro. The picture doesn't show it, but there is a quick connect on the GDO, so I can remove it easily and throw it in my pocket).

Last futzed with by headshrink; July 5th, 2015 at 01:20 PM.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote