Old July 16th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #16
Timpo
ninjette.org member

Name: what

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
So... just spitballing here:

The 400 is going to have to be uniquely different from the 650, right? Otherwise it would take sales from the 650. So does this mean they'll can the 650? or will the 400 be a ripper? or will they can the 300? Or will they have a 300, 400, and 650 all in the same lineup?

There's a lot of ways they could go with this, and each option has some reason that makes it not make sense. I'm hoping they keep the existing 300 to keep the entry rider and ninjette racing class. Keep the 650 as the middleweight sensible bike. Then make the 400 engine a high strung, high revving ripper (go ahead and base it off the sleeved down 650 engine, but up the compression and put in hot cams and a high flowing head and a high flow intake) and make the chassis (with budget parts to keep cost down) the geometry of a proper supersport. Aggressive, tight, and snappy, but smaller engine that can still be wound out on real roads.

That way the 300 is entry sport and the 650 is middleweight sport, while the 400 becomes entry level for the ZX line. For once, I'd be okay if they did their typical cheapo suspension in this scenario. Would that make sense? Maybe. But it's still too many bikes in the lineup and I bet it's just a pipe dream on my part.

I'm guessing they'll end up using this bike to replace either the 300 or the 650 and make it an EX rather than making it the entry ZX.
lol do you really think they're gonna replace the Ninja 650 with 400?
The Ninja 650 just came out, brand new for 2017...and do you think they're gonna replace it for Ninja 400?

If anything, they will kill the 300 and replace it with 400.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote