View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #6
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
If you had only left out "good" & "qualified"!

To answer the question though; I think there are 3 characteristics of a great coach:

1: A superior ability to observe & analyze.

2: An exeptional ability to communicate.

3: A genuine ability to listen.

Note one does not have to have exraordinary ability to personally succeed at the subject to be a great teacher. There are many great coaches with limited playing skills as there are many great players that cannot teach.
Love this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I don't think I qualify yet, I need to improve my own riding as well as my ability to analyze the riding of those around me before I would be ready.

I also need to figure out how to ride a bike that has a motor larger than 298CC

but rest assured I'll be trying out for a future year
Well, the school teaches you how to be able to observe and analyze. in order to be considered for a coach you have to be able to ride well and fast before hand, but it is incredible how much your own riding improves once you begin coaching. The more you teach other riders the more you are able to absorb the information yourself. It's been a pretty amazing journey over the last 14 years of coaching with CSS. I CAN"T BELIEVE IT"S BEEN THAT LONG!!!

I look forward to hearing all about your try out!

Are there other qualities that make a good coach? What do you think takes someone from being a "good" coach to an "exceptional" coach?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote