View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2019, 02:17 AM   #2
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 1989 model and 1990 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibSerge View Post
Today I was taking the oil screen cover off to check the state of the screen and also upgrade to the 2008 screen cover that comes with a drain plug.

The screen in general was clean but I found some shavings on the edge of the screen. I will take the pic of it tomorrow (did not have the phone with me). They are definitely aluminum - they are white/gray and they are not magnetic. And they look like shavings coming from a thread tap, mostly 1mm in size and some of them do look like pieces of thread.

The thing I found out is that one of the previous owners has stripped oil drain plug threads and re-tapped it for bigger size plug M14 with 19mm head instead of M12-17. I suspect they did not remove all the shavings and some of them ended up in the case.

What could this potentially cause ? It looks like the screen is fine grained enough to stop the bigger ones. I assume the oil goes to the pump next and then to the filter ? so technically they should not have ended up in the engine's critical parts?

The new plug they installed has a magnet and it was totally clean when I unscrewed it.

The engine runs well, oil pressure looks good (the bulb turns on instantaneously) I hear no knocks other than clutch basket sometimes (it goes away with slipping the clutch and then I do not hear it - at least now I could not hear it). Both cylinders hold pressure (about 205 and 215 psi).

Bike has about 10k , I did not have a chance to ride it for long distances (it is currently not plated) but testing it on the driveway did not show any issues - it pulls well from a stop.

Your thoughts on this situation are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Pretty normal finding aluminium and also steel shavings and tiny bits and bobs in the oil screen. That’s why the oil screen is there. It traps the bigger bits before they can get into the system and cause any damage. All motors produce metal particles as they run in and there could also be some in there left over from manufacture that are caught up. Clean it out and I’ll bet you won’t find any more when you check it again in 10000 miles time. Don’t worry everything is normal and OK!