View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #6
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
Now my question. This is my first bike, I am 42 and my hands go numb after riding for a short time, ie 15 - 30 minutes. A friend has suggested to take some of the weight off my hands and arms and sit up straighter, adjust my hands on the grips, not to grip to tight, (I kept catching my self with a death grip) I am wearing gloves, (Scorpion, coolhand model).

How does everybody grip the bars, which fingers do you use to cover the clutch and brake, which fingers around the throttle, etc.

Thanks in advance

NB
I'm a little bit younger than you, but feel like my body thinks it's much older some days - heck, I think it feels even older than Kelly, and we all know that's REALLY old
All of that to say that my wrists hate if I put any weight on them. I found that when I first start out, I am more tense and end up putting more weight on the bars. When I've gotten back into the groove of being on the bike, I'm able to relax more, and then it's like my hands are lightly resting on the bars and guiding her around the curves. I've also found that for me, sitting up more with a little bit of an arch in my back and my chest out helps remind me to use my core instead of my arms to stay upright. Despite the fact they may be well insulated, I actually have pretty strong core muscles!
Since my hands are small I usually keep my index and middle fingers resting on the levers, and that works well for me, especially considering the other two don't really reach anyway!
The last thing I noticed is that if your gloves feel at all tight, then you'll go numb faster. I had some that were a little tight for me and I found my hands were numb within a couple of miles, where as on the looser gloves, I would be find for most of the ride.
Good luck!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote