View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #13
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, CR125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxedpenny View Post
I attend a technical college half the day then have regular high school. The body shop dept. said they would gladly do it for me! All I got to pay is for paint and materials. They charge you what they pay for the paint so its going to be very cheap. Like 50-75 bucks
In your guys oppinon is a custom painted bike worth more than a OEM one?
I was in the auto collision repair and refinishing when I was in high school. I painted the hood, fender flares, bumper on my jeep. As well as a fender for a teacher, bumper for my cousin, and air brushed an eagle on someones tale gate, I think i have a pix on my phone that I will try and get up. I ended up winning 2nd in state for the refinishing catagory.

But what I was gonna say is don't be fooled. There are a lot more "hidden fees" (tack rag, paint booth fee, filters, paint, clear coat, primer, wet sand paper, final clean, flex agent) and thats about all I can think of right now.

Some of it the shop will supply for you, but you might want to get the bill before you commit because they will charge you for all of that. I would sand down the whole fairing with 800 grit wet sand paper, possibly prime and etch coat the whole thing then wet sand it again. Use a block when you do it otherwise it will show the marks in between your fingers where there was no pressure.

Flex agent will HAVE TO be used because it is plastic and plastic easily bends and can be manipulated, if you don't use it your paint will crack! (ask me how I know)

As far as paint goes there are several choices. Single stage- the cheapest and still looks decent, wont last as long and doesn't have a "really glossy look" (has the clear coat in it). 2 stage- base coat/clear coat is a quality paint and has a great shine! Looks good and lasts a long time (what I would recommend) And 3 stage...which I wouldn't worry about unless you want to spend lotsa' money.

Regardless get a quality brand of paint, I only shoot with dupont and everything they make. Single stage is harder to spray then a 2 stage paint. Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing when they are painting or you will get uneven coverage, runs, orange peel, pits and all that good stuff. also remember that paint is more expensive based on the color as well. White paint is the cheapest, the red paint i bought for my jeep ( 1 qt) was 120 bucks! My guess is for the fairings you will only need one pint of paint to do 2-3 coats. When you dolute one pint you will get 1 qt of paint.
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote