View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:53 AM   #37
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Even if your head is encased in a helmet (no matter how high quality) if your brain is subjected to instantaneous g-forces above a certain level, it will scramble. And if your head is being accelerated/decelerated in that abrupt manner there's also a very good chance your neck won't be up to the stresses involved either.

During my Air Force career I had to sit through aerospace physiology courses, some of which were simultaniously entertaining and frightening. One instructor had a film in which they'd taken the fight scenes, falls, and car crashes from several movies and analyzed them for g-force effects on the human body. The brain of Iron Man character Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) racked up something like 8 or 9 accelerations/decelerations registering in the high fatality probability range in just one single fight scene (the one against the bigger silver-gray suit, I never actually saw the whole movie). This damage would occur no matter what sort of Unobtainium his suit was made of because your brain sloshes around in your head anyway.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote