View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1
shikikanzero
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ty

Motorcycle(s): none yet

bike won't run after several miles

so i got a 2004 ninja 250 with 1900 miles. i just took out my carbs and did a full rebuild and cleaning, put it back in and went for a test ride. took it through a 10 mile mountain pass, everything ran perfect. today i go on a 20 mile trip, was running fine for the first 13 miles then suddenly i got a loss in power, the RPM's topped off at 6k in 6th gear, speed not going above 50mph, then the bike just stalled. i waited it off on the shoulder lane for about 5 minutes, then started it back up again. bike started right up, drove fine for about 1 mile then problems came back. this time waited for just 1 minute, started it back up, this time any throttle would stall the bike. then i noticed that the left muffler was extremely hot and the right one was just kind of warm. waited for 5 minutes and tried starting up again, once again ran fine for about a mile then died again. i pretty much limped it home this way. i noticed that im always smelling burnt gas, so im guessing something is running rich? another thing is that when it runs fine, the rpms are at 3k fully warmed up w/ no choke, if i lower the idle knob the rpms drop to 1.4k but any blip on the throttle will make it return to 3k. gonna pull spark plugs to check for rich or lean and check compression to see if i damaged anything. anybody know whats going on? thanks for any reply!
shikikanzero is offline   Reply With Quote