View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2014, 03:33 PM   #195
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
Oh I know, My ass still hurts from it. Plus I had just plopped down $440 a few weeks ago for a valve adjustment, carb sync and tune. I would do myself but even after reading the DIY on valve adjustment and carb sync, I still don't understand how to do it and am afraid of messing everything up. Bike is still financed and I rely on it to get to work. Not just a side toy for me that I can mess around with.

So actually I kind of don't mind paying since I have a little piece of mind that its going to be done right and I won't be the one freaking out when I **** something up on it
I hear you. Several years ago I resembled everything about you and your situation that you've described, including relying on my bike as primary transportation. If you have a form of emergency back-up to get you to work during times your bike is in pieces, this will help a lot. However, unlike getting cars services, MC mechanics seem to take a long time anyways, so MCs are never TRULY the 100% answer, although they can come close (in CA at least).

If you have space to store and work on your stuff, are willing to learn over time, forgive yourself for mistakes, trust that in the end you'll ride/rise above and feel awesome, my advice is as follows:

- Service Manual (not owners manual). You should order this before taking possession of the bike. There is no substitute. The electronic one is nice to have, but make sure you have a legitimate copy in print. Read it for fun (serious), and read through/understand the procedures the best you can before taking on a new job.

- Make a habit of reading DIYs (including watching YouTube videos), and actively participate in the forums. Ninjette is the best forum I've found anywhere for this, but there are a couple others.

- Without needing to know everything, try to understand WHY/HOW things work. This will GREATLY increase your diagnostic skills, confidence, and keep you from chasing non-existent ghosts.

- Slowly increase your mechanical skills and confidence by starting with little jobs, and slowly learning bigger ones.

- Start with your most basic necessary set of tools, and SLOWLY add to it every time you learn a new job. It IS worth spending money on many specialty tools that you don't use everyday, but some of them you can buy cheaper versions. You can get buy with a lot of DIY techniques to forgo many specialty tools, but you may eventually tire of the added effort. Depending on the job, you may eventually want to treat yourself to replacing a ****** DIY tool with the luxury of a specialized tool. Example: I used tire spoons for several years - successfully, but I hated every moment of it. This year I finally sprung for the no-mar tire mount/demount bar.... I've only used it once thus far, but let me tell you this... life has opened up to me! Buy one.

- Don't shop at your local dealer, unless you either own stock in the business, or you have some freakishly unusual LBS that will price-match online stores liberally (good luck with that).

- Buy parts and specialty tools from respected online retailers, but always look for the smaller online gems out there that sell lesser known tool brands for significantly cheaper (rockymountainatv.com is one).

- Don't forget ebay! Need a $100 diagram for one of your carbs? Buy a COMPLETE carb set off eBay for $100, and have lots of extra parts. Crack your head? Buy a new/used engine off eBay for $700. The eBay MC wrecker can be your friend.

- Document EVERYTHING carefully, and keep a binder for all your maintenance records and receipts. Receipts are necessary to prove work was done, and receipts for accessories will be necessary if you ever need to make an insurance claim. When you are taking on a new job, TAKE PICTURES of every step. This will help if you forget what part went when/where/how, as well as provide pics to upload to the forum if you need to ask for help.

- When you have to buy, or re-buy, a part you broke, forgive yourself quickly, LEARN from the experience, and laugh that you spent less than a single college unit and gained so much more practical life knowledge/skill.

This post has been brought to you by caffeine and Adderall, but ideas have come to a screeching halt. More will come after I hit 'submit,' I'm sure. All advice has come from great personal cost to me, sweat, tears, and lots of joy; but if it saves you some pain, the benefit to me also increases.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote