Thread: Torque Wrench
View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #10
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal5646 View Post
lol...I guess it's a matter of opinion. I'm sure DerTeufel has good intentions on recomending "only the best"...but in my opinion, for oil changes, you don't need an 80 dollar torque wrench. If used properly, the cheap ones can do values much less than that! (I've done Mercedes transmission pans with cheap ones that I believe were set at something ridiculous at 7 ft/lbs.) The trick is to choke almost all the way up on the torque wrench when tightening. But you won't need to do this for 14 ft/lbs! This is 2011...a product that BAD can't and will not be on the market!
I dunno, I've come across a lot of junk that's on the market (and people buy them). Take for example those cheap Bilt and Sedici suits. They may appear to to do the job, but the material used and the way that they are put together is pretty poor.

Perhaps I am a bit opinionated because I have been working as a mechanic for the last 20 some-odd years and got burnt by "budget" tools that failed when I needed them to function. For the hobbyist, the Harbor Freight torque wrench may indeed work fine. I wouldn't expect it to be accurate though.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote