Thread: 140 80 17 tires
View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2016, 04:44 AM   #4
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

This is the image of the tire. I liked this brand because its a "sport touring" tire made for wet and dry conditions and the zig zag in the middle is supposed to prevent you from getting stick in "tar snakes" or cracks in he road. @csmith12 I should have done more research on the 140/80 tire. But i read a lot of people on here saying not to go with a 140/150 unless its made for the 3.5 rim size. The chart on the Bridge Stones website (http://www.bridgestonemotorcycletires.com/Street.aspx) under BT45 said that te 140/70 COULD fit a 3.5 but the recommended rim was 4.0. I thought i was being smart by getting the 140 that was for the 3.5 rim lol! oh well, I know now to check the diameter not just the tread width. I was more worried about it rubbing on the sides I never though about it being close to the back. I did a little research and the problem will be resovled as soon as my chain starts stretching and I can pull the rear tire back a little more. (at least I think). I am going to replace my front tire really soon too, is it okay to go with a 120/70? I know 110/70 is the recommended, but I like the bigger tires for aesthetics lol. I dont want to lose proformance, but at the same time I feel really weird when I could lean so easy on stock tires.

Also the messed up rim situation, this guy owns his own shop, I met him through a friend. I asked him about repairing the rim and his exact words he emailed me back were "Some tire machines aren't very gentle with the rims. That's why I do it by hand. Black nail polish works best." I really want my rims repaired but I dont want to push the issue too much ( I dont do well with conflict) worst case, where can I get stuff to repair it myself?