View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
I too have noticed the same problem with my last 3 fill ups, I fill it until it stops then I go just a little more and stop at about an inch or two from the metal ring. I just filled up today and when I started my bike it showed about 3/4 tank on the fuel gauge. I had 203 on my odo and it took 3.2 gallons of fuel. I am going to fill up to the ring and see if that makes a difference. I have to get my 600 maint. check and was going to mention it to them, but if I am not filling it up all the way maybe it is not a problem, just an error on my part. If I am reading the posts correctly, will I have this problem continuously? Or does actually read full if you fill it up to the metal ring?
Lol, Toua posted it before I could. The fuel gauge is notoriously off. My personal experience with it is that it always shows full when it is full but the tank is a little over 1/4 when the gauge reads empty. For me, this works out since it's consistently wrong but others have had different experiences. My advice?

Stay seated on the bike to keep it straight up and fill it to a little under the metal ring. Reset your trip and fill up around 180-200 miles. That, or if you know your bike and it's as consistent in it's inaccuracy as mine, use that.