View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:19 AM   #26
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Challenging questions as always, Misti. Let's see how I do....

There are three parts to that question.
How: I know that a high side happens when you lose the rear but then allow it to hook up again while the bike is sideways.
What it first feels like: Don't think I have a lot of insight here. I locked the rear momentarily once or twice on my Ninjette, but never at speed. Feels like you're tripping over your own feet... hoik!
Why riders high side: Chopping the throttle. Those amazing clips we've seen of Marquez saving a bike that has for all intents and purposes already crashed shows what staying on the throttle can really do.

I got private instruction from Ken Condon last season and he said my visual references are good. I'm doing the two-step from apex to exit pretty well, I think. Answers to the rest of the questions are yes and yes.

During instruction Ken diagnosed part of what I was doing as overreaction. I was "fifty pencing" corners, reacting to every little thing. Thinking too much.

I suspect that this is similar. I'm overthinking it, overchecking myself, and hesitating as a result. So my roll-on is slow and weak.
Good clear answers here, thank you. I want to stick with the visuals for a bit more though. There is a reason you are "fifty pencing" corners and over re-acting so we need to figure out why.

You say you are doing the 2-step from apex to exit pretty well. Let's take a look at a corner you are familiar with where you feel you still have a weak roll on. How soon are you picking up your exit rp? Are you already at the apex when you are looking to the exit? And what exactly are you using as an exit RP? The edge of the track, shape of the corner, or something in the distance? Do you have something to aim for after the "exit" of the corner?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote