View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #42
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Americans love big engines. It's a fact.

Small displacement motorcycles are available in Asia and Europe (as you probably know already) but if any of these bikes come to the US, they won't sell simply because the engine is too small.
Very true, the majority of Americans prefer larger bikes. But *many*, as in a not insignificant group rather than the majority, could benefit from small displacement bikes. However, I'm not trying to imply suddenly small bikes will be the majority of sales.

Regardless of what most riders would want, many young riders, let's say 18-25 years old or so, can't afford big bikes. A returned trend towards larger and more expensive bikes will price young, new riders out of the sport.

Consider it insurance for the future, but in my opinion, without small bikes you'll see what's already happening continue. Motorcycling will decline in the US.

Older, more experienced, and more financially well off riders will flock to large displacement motorcycles yielding higher revenues than small bikes for manufacturers in the short term. However, rider replacement from the younger ranks will slow, and consequently the market as a whole.

Now, compared to 2007 when we had a 20 year old Ninja 250 and not much else in the US, we live in a dreamland of small bikes. With the proliferation of small bikes I think we've seen their popularity increase. I'd like to see small bikes become "cool" to mainstream consumers or at the very least, not "girly" or "a joke". Let's give the younger riders a stepping stone into the big bike market so they don't skip motorcycling all together.