View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2017, 10:14 AM   #64
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'm right there with those longing for higher-spec components. I love this class of bike for its economy and usefulness. I love my supersport for its vastly superior suspension and brakes. I really wish I could bring the two together.

We're never going to get past the harsh realities of market demographics. Small bikes are beginner/commuter bikes, and the only ones yearning for higher spec components are the few... the proud... the slightly loony.... the performance-oriented canyon carvers, racers and track riders.

It simply does not make economic sense for a manufacturer to up the component spec (and therefore the cost) of this class of bike to draw that small audience. New riders and those given to farkling their rides don't know better and don't care. They base decisions on cost, appearance and lifestyle.

Bottom line: There are reasons why new bikes with fully adjustable suspensions cost thousands more than more pedestrian, non-adjustable rides -- and given the economics of today's market, higher margins are not the primary driving force behind those prices. If higher spec didn't cost more, OF COURSE every manufacturer would be competing based on it... no reason not to. They don't because they'd lose market share due to pricing. We might be prepared to pay a hefty premium to get the goodies we crave, but most riders aren't.

What I do think could work would be a factory performance accessory catalog, with everything from engine tuning mods to upgraded suspension bits to whole front ends. They could even do packages... buy one part number, get all you need. Dealers need only stock base models. Those who really do want an upgraded bike could order the parts. Everybody wins.

We all know that most of this stuff (aside from an improved frame) simply bolts on and does not require vast amounts of mechanical knowledge or skill. Any dealer can do the build, or they could sell direct to owners who want to do it themselves.

In the real world, what happens (and would continue to happen) is that performance-oriented riders do their own mods via the aftermarket, using best-of-breed components. This strong aftermarket support is precisely why the Ninjette continues to be popular as a track and race bike.

The one place where I think the factory could become the preferred source of upgraded components would be the front end of the bike. The best the aftermarket can do there is compromise mods like GVEs/Intiminators and the usual brake pad/SS line upgrades. Some bikes (e.g. SVs) lend themselves to front-end swaps, but things like that always require a donor bike and fabrication, and AFAIK there's no option for the Ninjette. A bolt-on, fully adjustable factory front end with improved brakes, plus a drop-in rear shock... now we're talkin'.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote