View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #65
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
What I do think could work would be a factory performance accessory catalog, with everything from engine tuning mods to upgraded suspension bits to whole front ends. They could even do packages... buy one part number, get all you need. Dealers need only stock base models. Those who really do want an upgraded bike could order the parts. Everybody wins.

The one place where I think the factory could become the preferred source of upgraded components would be the front end of the bike. The best the aftermarket can do there is compromise mods like GVEs/Intiminators and the usual brake pad/SS line upgrades. Some bikes (e.g. SVs) lend themselves to front-end swaps, but things like that always require a donor bike and fabrication, and AFAIK there's no option for the Ninjette. A bolt-on, fully adjustable factory front end with improved brakes, plus a drop-in rear shock... now we're talkin'.
This is a great idea, it is also effectively what KTM did with their RC390 cup package. For extra money you could have all the bells and whistles of a top notch race bike, and having ridden both I can attest that it is a night and day difference. Packages like that are huge. I also admit I would find myself going aftermarket for suspension no matter what, but I'm also a very rare type of rider that isn't being directly targeted by their marketing campaign. However, aftermarket doesn't give us frames (which was improved drastically) or usable upside down fork setups which adds a large amount of edge on the performance side in addition to looking cooler on the showroom floor. It doesn't matter what they put in these forks as internals since that will be swapped immediately.

On the note of front end aftermarket, GVEs/Intiminators are a basic step, the top step is cartridge kits. These cartridge kits are massively better, and are actually the best possible setup for our bikes since gas fork swaps aren't available. On the note of the front end swap for the SVs, this is actually a terrible swap as it ruins the geometry of the bike and causes the front end to be far too stiff, it is possible for it to work with a lot of tuning but it will never be as good as the stock forks with cartridge kits in them.

I would buy a bolt on USD fork front end kit immediately if it became available for my R3 or Ninja 300