View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #15
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

I'd recommend riding both generations before buying

I rented a new-gen for 12 hours and rode it 300 miles before I ever rode a pre-gen and I found the ride to be unbearable. I don't know what it was, but every twenty miles I had to pull over and do stretches due to an excruciating pain in my knees caused by the new-gen. I didn't like the seat, or the lack of space underneath it, or how seat went back on (it was a huge PITA on the new-gen). I didn't like the instrument cluster either. Other than all that, I absolutely loved the Ninja 250!

A few weeks later I happened to be in the right place at the right time. A Ninja 250 pre-gen popped up on Craigslist for $500. It had 2845 miles, which the PO mis-read the 1/10ths of a mile being the fifth digit. She thought it had 28k miles, hence the low price. I had a hard time finding a used new-gen with less than 3k miles, and forget $500 for a new-gen completely unless if it's a parts bike.

I bought it, fixed it up for less than $100, registered and insured it for the year for less than $200 and I'll be coming up on having put 3000 more miles on the bike shortly! The only short comings of the pre-gen model compared to the new-gen (for regular commuting on public roads, not sport or track riding) is the suspension. The new-gen has noticeably better suspension. Otherwise, unless you go looking for differences, I promise you will not notice a difference. With that said, I looked for every difference, and if you put it in that perspective these models are MASSIVELY different.

None of the issues I had with the new-gen transferred to the pre-gen. I liked the pre-gen in almost every way better.

I was going to finance a used new-gen from a dealer, despite the incredible knee pain. I just wanted a bike to enjoy this summer. I didn't have the money saved to buy one outright (BTW, never buy toys outright), but I do have a good job and could make payments on a Ninja 250. Instead I had waited and bought a bike I am MUCH more satisfied with, and I'm debt free baby! When the time comes to sell I'll also make a nice little bonus on this bike seeing as I only got it for $500.

There is no need to rush into these things. You will get a motorcycle when the time is right. No need to be dying for it. I say wait for the best deal.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote