Old April 28th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #28
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaple View Post
They are also moving at what appears to be 5mph or slower when they were hit on a 20-25mph road. You wouldn't coast around a blind turn 15 miles under the speed limit in a car, motorcycle, pickup, semi, or tractor. So they are breaking the law in California, just like the motorcyclist who was most likely speeding and driving recklessly without proper control over his vehicle. Both at fault.
Oh really? I see nothing in this about moving too slowly. The CA law (from what I've found on line) says nothing about moving too slow being illegal. The rule states that the bicyclist is to stay right and travel predictably so that traffic can safely go around them:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21202.htm
Quote:
21202. (a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:

(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

(2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

(4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.

(b) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway of a highway, which highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of that roadway as practicable.

Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 674, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997.
The cyclists were doing exactly that. They were off the the right and riding predictably. You're so full of crap. Show me CA traffic law that explicitly says they were breaking a law, and I'll believe you.

The only roads I've seen that carry maximum and minimum speeds are multi-lane, limited access freeways. THOSE are roads that bicycles are not permitted on.

FYI: I cycle on back roads. I run on back roads. I also do both of that in busy city streets during rush hour. Not once has a police officer stopped me on a state route (that I live on) for doing 15-20 mph in the 35 section or the 45 section. The cyclists should have likely picked a less busy time to ride that fun canyon road.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote