View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2020, 11:20 AM   #6
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
How would you recommend, going through the wiring? Regular soldering, and heat shrink? Or a mechanical connection, +soldering/heat shrink.
Yup, I prefer to have all three components in wiring joint:

mechanical strength - wire knot is best, or crimp for laziness/convenience
electrical conductivity - solder, nothing beats real lead/tin solder. Also adds to mechanical strength of joint
weather-proofing - solder seals wire-end gaps from moisture creeping in between. Adhesive shrink-wrap adds to that protection and prevents black/green wire disease

To get power from headlight circuit, I connect to actual terminals in headlight socket.

1. extract terminal from connector without damage using appropriate extraction tool

2. open up strain-relief slightly and feed new wire through (strip wire-end so that insulation goes under strain-relief). Solder new-wire to top of existing crimped wire. Gently re-crimp strain-relief. Add heat-shrink wrap to cover solder and strain-relief. Different type of terminal shown, but same idea:

3. re-insert terminal into headlight connector.

Repeat at tail-light connector for rear-camera. Wiring-length is shortest since power-source is near camera location anyway. Nice thing about this is lighting circuit is already fuse-protected, so no need to add separate fuse for camera power-feeds. I used these USB power-adapters with micro-USB output to connect directly to camera.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote