View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #6
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 87 Ninja 250, 90 Ninja ZX750R, GPZ 900r, 02 Moto Guzzi LeMans, 95 Triumph Speed Triple

Road bike have come a long way since I was into biking in late 80's to early 90's. The biggest advancement is the trigger shifter where the shifter and brake lever is integrated as one unit. The old style is the index shifter were you have to reach down to your bike's down tube to shift gears.

The other advancement is that you got lot more gears to shift. I use to only have 7 gear cassette on the back and two rings on front so that make it a 14 speed bike. Today's you got 10 gear cassette out back and some even have 3 rings on front which make it 30 speeds. 2-1/2 times more gear ratio to choose from!

With your budget an older steel or aluminum frame is more likely as carbon frames still cost a fortune. Steel frame bikes ride more comfortable and more forgiving while aluminum frame ride a lot more stiff and harsh in general just like motorcycle frames.

If this is your first bike, then I don't recommend going with a fixie or single speed even thought they're in fashion or in vogue but the truth is most people who got a single speed bike are on their third or forth bike after their road, mountain, DH, cruiser/commuter bikes. Do you drive a car with single speed?, a motorcycle with one gear? so a bicycle with one gear is cool to look at but other then that it make no sense to me, unless you're into gathering around coffe shops to shoot the BS thats 1 miles away from you house.
fjyang is offline   Reply With Quote