View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2016, 06:37 AM   #1
CBourbon
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

New Member from the Derby City

Hey gang,

Stopping in to say hey. It's been 25+ years since I've been on a bike, but I started getting the itch to ride and yesterday picked up a new-to-me 2007 Ninja 250.

A local car dealer had the bike for over a month. It's bone-stock, only 3,758 miles, with a brand spanking new set of Metzeler Feelfree tires on it. Still have the mold-release nubs on them. They originally had it listed for $2,600. They had it marked down to $1,900.

I (actually my wife, she can bargain better than anyone I've ever met) lowballed and offered them $1,200 for it yesterday after looking it over and taking a test ride, and they TOOK IT!

The next MSF course that ISN'T sold out in my area isn't until the first weekend in October, but I signed up anyway. Just have to take it slow until then. I'm in my late 40's anyway, so I'm way past the point where I'm in a hurry to get anywhere, lol.

After spending yesterday going over the bike, I found a few thing to tackle:
  • High idle when warm - 3-4k on the tach. Vacumn leak/choke adj maybe?
  • Left front turn signal is loose/flopping.
  • Chain looks bone dry, has small spots of rust

The bike is super clean. There are only 2 tiny places on the fairings with any rash at all (I'm talking maybe a pencil thin spot maybe an inch long on either side down low). I'm guessing the loose turn signal was the result of the bike falling down while parked or super low speed. It still has the break-in clear sticker on the tach. I'm working from the assumption that the bike has seen no service since new, so my next steps are changing the oil and filter, valve adjustments, chain cleaning/lube and going over the whole bike cleaning, detailing and looking for anything out of place.

I read a TON of info both here and the 'other' 250 site over the past weeks preparing for an eventual bike purchase, and have to say you guys have some AWESOME tips, how-tos and info here.

Hopefully I'll be able to add to the fun here once I get back up to speed. And if you're curious, my bike is that blazing fast silver bullet color, with the original (and about to removed) red tribal flame decals. I'll post pics after she's cleaned, serviced, and polished.

Remember, if you see bourbon, drink it! (Unless you're riding, then have some AFTER your ride!)
CBourbon is offline   Reply With Quote