View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2019, 07:18 AM   #7
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
I had the same problem with one of mine, it was the tiny inline fuel filter (what I see in the pic). It just couldn't flow enough to keep up with the demands of highway (or track) riding. I put a bigger inline filter on and problem was solved. If it runs ok other than dying I'll bet the carbs are ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
The actual tank venting is through the gas cap, and that can get clogged. It may or may not be related to your current problem, but it's worth checking and cleaning that anyway.
What they said. Your description makes it sound like it's temporarily "running out of gas". Obviously, a fuel filter that's clogged or too small could cause fuel starvation.

The tank vent can also result in this, as it causes a vacuum in the tank that keeps fuel from flowing out like it's supposed to. It's the equivalent of shutting off the petcock, so the carbs actually do run out of fuel. Opening the gas cap will fix it, but you'll still have to wait for fuel to flow down and refill the carbs again. If the bike has already stalled, that means some time spent cranking the engine to create vacuum and open the petcock (assuming it's working properly). If you keep a spare key in the gas cap, you can test it by popping it open while riding when the problem starts. It should behave like flipping to Reserve when you're low on gas - it may take a moment, but gas should start flowing into the carbs and it'll run like normal again.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote