View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2023, 12:03 PM   #2
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I have begun to wire the Pellet stove anew....
I have the fans wired up and tested them via a temporary toggle switch
and they worked just as planned the room fan turns very fast now and blows harder than it ever did before this is both good and bad the blowing harder is a good thing in that it will extract more BTU's from the pellets than it ever did before, but the fan itself may not last near as long this way.... if not I have a backup and I may resort in trying to slow it down a bit to not put so much stress on it.
I just made up both wires to the thermal snap switch to wire it in line with the Auger motor as a safety feature if it gets too hot it will break the connection to the Auger motor and turn off the motor so it doesn't feed more pellets and it will cool down.
I am fortunate that everything in the stove works on 110vac... that wasn't always the case with pellet stoves as some had a 12vdc power supply on the circuit board to power certain things.
Soon I will drill holes in the outside pannel shield to mount the switches
on the side of the stove... I want this stove to be easily understood by anyone as I am asleep when others are awake in my house so someone is always awake here. we have always done that. it is just safer !
so making it easy to figure out how to operate it is kind'a hard. I know how it works down to the last detail but my wife could care less and just expects to flip a switch and get the house warm.
so my answer to that is just turn on every switch to the on position
and turn off the igniter after you see flames.
there is a Potential problem however... the timer I purchased has Knobs on it to adjust the on /off time of the Auger motor that feeds the pellets...
other timers I used killed the settings if you turned it off.... (not good)
this one should not.... if it does however, I will have to re wire the timer to be on all the time.
that timer $24.95 from Amazon should be here Friday ! and I would like to have it all wired up and ready to be put into action at that time.
I am using over 2 bags of wood pellets in the wood stove a day right now
heating the house.... and part of another bag ! so 2.5 bags of pellets a day !
OUCH ! that hurts ! that is anything but efficient ! but it is only temporary !
problems....
I don't have any idiot lights at all and I need 2
and I need one more switch for the igniter it will be the last to go in as I can start it with a propane torch without it.
financial restraints ( I ain't got the money !) will require me to wait on the other parts but I am fairly certain I have enough to at least get the stove working again and get back to a bag a day efficiency on the wood pellets.
I am sure it will be better in the long run than in it's original condition.
mainly because it is less likely to brake again.... the circuit boards on pellet stoves are notorious for going out and there really is no fixing them without a electronics lab and a bunch of parts on hand....
the timers are cheap and I will buy a back up to just have on hand.
but the thing that has bugged me sense the day I hooked up the stove
is the long reset time and the veriable fan control....
in my mind if you are blowing heat off a heater you want the most wind you can get... these idiots for some reason made that fan veriable to change speed with the heat setting.... which is plane stupid ! if it's burning on low you should have maximum air flow to get all the heat out of the stove that you can get.... as well as when it is running on High... you want maximum air flow that you can get.... not a throttled down fan... and that is exactly how it is in stock form.
so that variable form of speed control to the fan has been removed which will put more heat out into the house than it ever did before.
the down side is that it will not be thermostatically controlled anymore
which is a bummer. but it will be more efficient and pump out alot more BTU's especially on the lower settings.
from my experience with my other pellet stove that I converted to a timer
it's not necessary to adjust the timer very often as once you get it dialed in close it is easy to just add a few seconds to the on time to make it hotter or subtract a few seconds to make it cooler.... as we usually have it running 24/7 all the time during the winter.

it's getting there !
Bob.......