View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2023, 11:45 AM   #46
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Hay ! I figured out a way to lower the XR650L more.....
the lowering link I got for it and that is installed right now is supposed to lower it 1" to 2" some reports have said it will lower it 3" but I am not sure that is safe to do giving that there would only be a few threads in the nut of the connecting link.... when I set it up I was careful to screw in each side by 5 turns.... giving each side 5 threads of holding power....
.... So I just went to the hardware store and bought 4 cans of High heat black
some bird seed and I got to thinking a big long nut could be welded on to one side of that turnbuckle to extend it's reach so I bought a big nut that connects threaded rod together.... I think I got the right size not sure on that at all...
I was totally guessing it may be too big but I have to take the link out to check
if it is the right size for the threads I can simply weld the nut to the correct end of the turnbuckle nut that has both left handed and right handed threads in it
to extend the lowering link more....
this should give that lowering link a 2" longer throw which is way more than I want but should work to get the bike to a comfortable height. it only needs to come down about 1/2" to 3/4" to make me very happy..... i may well have to cut down the side stand once again, if I do this LOL
if I stretch I can place both feet flat on the ground in my boots....
but normal setting I am usually just touching with the balls of my feet
the main reason for this is my feet are not directly under the bike and they are spread out for stability. so a bit lower would be more convenient
.... I have a gut feeling the nut I bought is too big but we shall see.....
(they have smaller ones so all I gott'a do is go back there and pick one up)
....I had the forethought to buy this particular lowering link in the hopes I could figure out an easy way to make it lower more... because all the links I saw for sale only lowered the bike 2" this one looked like the easiest to modify ! LOL
2" addition to that link would probably equate to 6" or 8" of drop of that I have no doubt .... because we are talking about angles and percentages here
not a straight correlation of inch per inch !
Bob........