View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #18
95XL
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '04 Yamaha FZ-1, '05 Ninja 250

3-wire turn signals are going to be for running lights also, which the 250 doesn't have. The way you see which wire goes where is grab yourself a lawn-mower, car battery, bike battery, or jump-pack (anything 12v you have laying around).

The Black wire on the signals is more than likely going to be your "ground" wire. So you would touch that to the "negative" side of your test battery. Then you take the green wire and touch it to the "positive" side of your test battery, the light should light up.

Then disconnect the green wire from your test battery, and connect the black/white wire the the "positive" side of your test battery, the light should light up again.

Take note as to which color wire attached to the battery produced a "brighter" light. Whichever wire produced the brightest light should be hooked to the green wire on the bike (that is going to be your "positive" coming from the bike, the black/yellow wire on the bike is going to be your "negative" or "ground").

Also note that the "positive" wire from the bike is different colors from the left side to the right, but the "negative" or "Ground" wire is black/yellow on both sides.

If you have a "Test-light" handy, you could double check me by hooking it to the "negative" side on your bike battery, and poking it inside the fittings on the bike's wiring, and (with your key "on") turn whatever side your trying to test's blinker "on" using the switch on your left handle bar. The test-light should blink on and off as a blinker when you've got it inside the plug of the "Positive" side of the bike wiring.

As far as getting the plugs to plug into each other, I've never been a fan of hacking up the "bike-side" of a wiring harness, so what I've always done is cut the "male" plugs off of the stock blinkers, and connect them to the new blinkers I'm looking to install, using the red/pink heat shrink butt-connectors. That way if you ever want to go back to stock, you just cut them off the blinkers and re-connect them to the stock blinkers, and the bike's actual wiring remains un-affected.

The third or "leftover" wire on the turn signals hooks to nothing, leave it hang. You could hook them up to work as running lights by wiring in a relay, but, we'll leave that part out for now... Good luck!