View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2018, 08:24 AM   #36
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
Hey @greg737 I'm very curious....do you discern any differences in noise, sound, speed, handling (or any other) between the 2?
Hey Gordon, You're asking, "What differences did Honda build into the two different sub-generation of the 5th Gen VFR800?"

Here are two "designed-in" differences:

#1. The catalyst element in the '00-'01 sub-generation's exhaust collector has the effect of muting the V-4's wonderful signature exhaust rumble. Honda made this change in the VFR's exhaust but didn't make any change in the OEM exhaust canister, the canister stayed the exact same across the entire four years of the 5th Generation. This resulted in the '00-'01 bikes being quieter than the '98-'99 bikes. So if you own a 5th Gen VFR and you want to hear the V-4 do its glorious rumble (namely 1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-) you have to install a less restrictive canister on a '00-'01 than you would on a '98-'99 to get the same effect.

#2. Honda changed/redesigned the VFR's clutch between the two 5th Gen sub-generations. The '98-'99 bikes have a clutch stack that included a total of: 9 Friction Disks, 8 Drive Plates, 1 Judder Spring, and 1 Judder Spring Seat. The clutch stack on the '00-'01 bikes has: 8 Friction Plates, 7 Drive Plates, and does not have the Judder Spring or the Judder Spring Seat.

Here's a short excerpt from the press package Honda released along with the rollout of the its '00 model year, including the VFR800:
The Y2k Honda Press Information pack (ROW) said this about the new model's clutch:

"... Lighter Clutch Operation: The VFR also received improvements to its clutch design that improve its operation. The piston ratio and spring rate of its master cylinder were changed and the number of its clutch plates was reduced from nine to eight, resulting in lighter action and smoother gear change operation."

And while you didn't ask me which of the two 5th Gen sub-generations I like the best, my personal opinion is that the '98-'99 is better because, 1. it has a better, more visceral sound to it, and 2. although the clutch is heavier on the '98-'99 its action is nicely spread out across the lever's movement and therefore it's easier to modulate power to the wheel.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote