View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2019, 09:18 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I got mine over year ago before tariffs kicked in, might have been U$0.99 in shipping or something.

I hesitated in getting copy made because of such bad experience previously. Originally I went to hardware store in Nob Hill and they found blank that matched. Cut me key and I went home and tried it, nope, only worked partially. I could turn it ON, but it wouldn't turn to LOCK. Trick was shoulder had to be pushing on lock and this one had shoulder that was much higher, about 3-5mm. Damn locksmith should've laid keys on top of each other and noticed it right away, idiot! I think it was an Ilco blank or some such.

Went back to have them try again and he refused, even after I showed him what problem was. And they refused to give me full refund and just gave me back just $3 for key-blank out of $17 I had spent there...grrr... So I was pissed and took over year to research this topic and get familiar with keys. Figured I'd get my own blank to make sure it's compatible. Ali one was close enough and I know all negative reviews were due to operator-error in cutting.

Got my blank in post and just hung onto it while researching locksmiths and trying to figure out who could possibly cut this correctly and not mess up. Tried big-box stores like Home Depot and they've dummied key-cutting to automated machines any yute can operate. However, your vehicle must be in machine's database in order for them to select it on screen, then it tells them which blank to use and stick in original and copy is spat out. Nope, no Ninja 250 in database, so no luck there.

Luckily I was walking back to office after retrieving dim-sum for lunch and walked past this place! Good to know there's still competent locksmiths who know how to properly operate manual key-cutting machine! Also probably helped being able to speak Chinese!

Feng Cai Trading Co., Chinatown, SF

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; November 16th, 2019 at 01:05 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote