adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
come on guys... is nobody going to tell him that the screws on the carbs are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screws, not regular old Amer'can style Phillips?

Okay, I will... The screws on your carbs are JIS. They might look like regular old Phillips head screws but if you try to work on them with Phillips head screwdrivers you will strip them out. The profile of the "X" in the head is subtly different.

What @MikeBudd was trying to tell you is that the profile of the small size of the standard (Home Depot) dry-wall driver bit is the same as a JIS screwdriver. He was saying that you can use that to work on the carbs. Or, after you've struggled with a Phillips head screwdriver to get all the screws out, destroying them in the process, you can then go out and buy some good stainless-steel allen head screws. Your choice.
All excellent and all true.

And all too late, sadly. He's already stripped the screw.

armo55, you have my sympathies and I wish you luck in fixing the problem. Having said that, search and homework is your friend.... the JIS and drywall bit info has been covered extensively in the past. Now you know how important finding out EVERYTHING about what you're about to do can be. Learn from this experience.

Prepare, prepare, prepare, measure, prepare some more, measure again, triple-check and THEN work.

This beats kind-of sort-of understanding what you're doing, going to work, making a costly mistake, trying desperately to (maybe) fix the damage and finally finding out what you should have done in the first place.

FWIW for anyone wanting to work on the carbs without suffering a "DAMMIT" moment:

It is MUCH MUCH easier in the long run to remove them from the bike. You are less likely to bugger them. The pain and hassle are worth it IMHO. It's what I did and the actual carb work was 100 percent trivial as a result.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote