View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:08 PM   #31
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Federal law has a minimum distance between the turn signal and brake lenses. It also has standards for brightness/distinguishability. It's called the FMVSS, http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/fmvss/index.html and *no* integrated signal/brake setups on motorcycles meet the FMVSS standards. They cannot be made to meet them, which is why they are *always* illegal. many states enforce these requirements in their inspection programs, fewer states will enforce it through traffic citations, but every single one will find the owner of such a system partly or completely at fault in accidents like these.

Edit to add: bikes I've seen with integrated setups were too dim, and the turn signal (if you could call it that) was often perceived as a slight flicker in brightness. Most times I was unable to tell if the rider was signalling left or right. The onus of clarity when signalling is on the signaller, not the viewer. A lawyer will run you $5k or more, and since your equipment clearly is illegal you will lose your case. I'd revert to a legal and functional setup and call it a lesson learned.
You seem to think that if you can't see a brightly lit turn signal and cause an accident similar to the OP's that you somehow would not be at fault. Motorcycles aren't even required to have turn signals in Virginia. Saying you didn't see me signal with my hand isn't going to cut it. You were behind me and should have been paying attention.

I also don't know why you are under the impression that since his tail light isn't DOT certified he would automatically lose a civil claim about this accident.

To the OP: Talk to a lawyer.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote