View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2018, 08:29 AM   #24
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
adouglas, Clearly you have a healthy respect for what can happen if you get it really wrong when applying throttle as you exit a corner. I do too, as my worst racing injury happened due to a highside. Only I didn't do it on an R6, but a 40hp Honda RS125. And it happened because I violated a rule I learned several years earlier. The rule I learned was to make my improvements in small increments and the way I learned that was while racing my Yamaha Seca II. You see, I was out on a typical race weekend and I was gradually getting on the throttle earlier and earlier while exiting T4 at Grattan. As I was doing that, a noticed that rear was starting to feel a bit different, just moving around a bit more as I got on the gas a bit harder each time. I realized that the bike was telling me something: "I'm getting ready to slide." So I just kept gradually getting on the gas harder bit by bit, and then it happened: A small rear wheel slide and the first time I spun the back tire on purpose. A big deal, but no big deal as I simply kept the throttle steady and waited for the rear to regain full grip and kept right on going. The point is this: If you make your improvements in small increments the bike will let you know that it is starting to behave a little differently and you won't be surprised by what happens as you continue gradually push the envelope. You will be prepared for it and it won't be a problem. Problems happen when we try to make big gains all at once and we get surprised by what the bike does. That's what happened with my RS125 when I got too worried about losing ground to another guy and tried to exit the corner a lot faster and gave it too much throttle. Result: Highside and separated shoulder.

It doesn't matter what others are doing. Work at your own pace, make your improvements in small increments, and when the slide comes it won't be a big deal.... except for you realizing that you just spun the rear on purpose and having a huge grin on your face because of what you just accomplished!
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote