adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post

Second of all though, we need to figure out what is preventing you from rolling on the gas harder on exit. You know you should, you probably try, but no matter how much you tell your right hand to roll on the gas harder it just won't WHY.

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?

Think about it this way, if you are certain of exactly where you are, and where you want to go, and you can see it ahead of time, do you have more confidence? If you have confidence in where you are and where you are going, can you roll on the gas harder through a corner?
Challenging questions as always, Misti. Let's see how I do....

Quote:

1st things first. Do you understand high-sides completely? How they occur, what the slide will first feel like, why riders get high sided? I have a feeling you do, but understanding the why and how first will take away SOME of the fear.
There are three parts to that question.
How: I know that a high side happens when you lose the rear but then allow it to hook up again while the bike is sideways.
What it first feels like: Don't think I have a lot of insight here. I locked the rear momentarily once or twice on my Ninjette, but never at speed. Feels like you're tripping over your own feet... hoik!
Why riders high side: Chopping the throttle. Those amazing clips we've seen of Marquez saving a bike that has for all intents and purposes already crashed shows what staying on the throttle can really do.

Quote:

Second of all though, we need to figure out what is preventing you from rolling on the gas harder on exit. You know you should, you probably try, but no matter how much you tell your right hand to roll on the gas harder it just won't WHY.

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?

Think about it this way, if you are certain of exactly where you are, and where you want to go, and you can see it ahead of time, do you have more confidence? If you have confidence in where you are and where you are going, can you roll on the gas harder through a corner?
I got private instruction from Ken Condon last season and he said my visual references are good. I'm doing the two-step from apex to exit pretty well, I think. Answers to the rest of the questions are yes and yes.

During instruction Ken diagnosed part of what I was doing as overreaction. I was "fifty pencing" corners, reacting to every little thing. Thinking too much.

I suspect that this is similar. I'm overthinking it, overchecking myself, and hesitating as a result. So my roll-on is slow and weak.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote