View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #37
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
That's just it though -- my question was NOT how to avoid the brake. It was how to avoid hitting the brake so much faster than the front because of the controls - I effectively always have the rear covered, but covering the front is exceedingly uncomfortable so I don't tend to do it outside of my practice.
I know how to use both brakes -- I practice it regularly, I've read the books; all the advice on that front is stuff I already do (it's great advice, that's why I do it, but it isn't about my issue). The issue I'm struggling with is how to get my panic reaction timing down a bit better so that the delay from engaging the rear to engaging the front is shorter so that I can let off the rear sooner and have less risk of it locking up. I'm getting the feeling it's an unusual issue/question to have from all the responses being about plain brake technique.
The problem you are having is you're wrongly identifying your issue, the time between engaging either brakes in respect to the other is irrelevant as the maximum amount of pressure applied to either before the wheel locks is independent of the force applied on either at any given time.

Their is no reason why you can't apply the rear brake first, so long as it's applying enough pressure as to not lock up the rear brake, and the delay between the two isn't too much as the bike will want to pop up. So forget about training yourself to go for the front brake, it's irrelevant so long as you apply it.

So given that the issue of which brake to use first is nullified by the fact the braking force applied is independent, then we must look at the symptoms that lead you to believe the issue is with which brake you use first and that is that you are locking up the rear wheel, this is simply because you are applying too much pressure, maybe because you panic? Maybe because you are used to applying more pressure on the front? Maybe you just go full retard and push as hard as you can equating more = better? Regardless of why their is one solution, and that is to train yourself to use the rear brake more effectively.

May I suggest giving yourself a length of road / car park / pier / yo mommas ass to practise braking ONLY using your rear brake, one marker at which to brake at, and another to place at the point you stopped, continue till you've managed to reduce that length to a repeatable distance without locking up your wheel at a given speed.

And if you don't like this answer shove it up your wazoo!
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote