View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #7
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Right now, to practice on the dirt (gravel), I take this road that has a portion that's unpaved. It's all gravel (and some sand). The first time I went on it, I got so tense because the bike was moving all over the place under me. And because I was tense, it made it so much worse. Now that I've traveled on this road a few times, I've experimented with being really loose. I don't grab onto the tank hard and I don't white knuckle the grips. It's a much more relaxing ride. But I still don't know if I'm doing it right.

I still feel uncomfortable when I feel the rear tire slide a bit (especially when I accelerate when slightly leaned over for a corner). And the front tire is always moving around....like when you're riding through a metal bridge. So....on gravel, I just don't lean it over much. I would love to.....if I had a beat up bike that I don't mind being dropped. But I don't want to drop my 300.

Here's an example of the road. As you can see, I'm not going that fast (only 25-30mph) and I don't lean over to corner. I just slow down. I just don't want the bike to hit the ground.

Have you guys ever taken a street bike on a road like this? Tips? Videos of your gravel ride?

It feels much worse in person that in the video. You can notice how much the bike is moving around. On the street, we all know the bike is extremely smooth and steady.

Link to original page on YouTube.