View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2016, 06:27 AM   #38
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
To instal the bearings it is fairly streight forward. After removing the bearings from the wheels and the gear holder. Clean everything with brake clean and scrub the inside of the wheel with a scotch bright. You really want everything very clean. Next I put te bearings in the freezer for a couple hours. Not over night or for a long time as condensation can develop.

I start with the bearing that has the snap ring. There is a small hole behind it that will support the inner tube. So start from that side.

Next I use a propane torch but I would recommend a heat gun.( I don't have one) but I heat the wheel slightly. Not a lot but enough so it is hot to the touch. Then working fast I instal one bearing. They should just drop in. But if you need to push the bearings. I use a socket.
Make sure the socket only pushed on the outer steel edge of the bearing. Make sure it is not to big. It won't fit if it is. And if it is to small. There is a real danger of damaging the bearing. Do not push on the seal. Use the back of the socket. The flat part and tap the bearing into place.
Next the support tube goes in. It should slide in and touch the bearing on the other side. One side has a small hole behind the bearing and that will help support the sleeve..
Then you can install the other side.
Next lube the dust seal with a little grease and tap them in and you are done.

This is a photo of the parts of the rear wheel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (102.8 KB, 3 views)