View Single Post
Old September 7th, 2019, 08:10 AM   #45
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
My answer is to slow more up front so I don't need to trail brake as deep or hard. That gives me more margin even if the overall time through the corner is the same.
At your newfound level of riding... You need to understand the full meaning of BALANCE. I don't mean only to keep the bike in balance, but balance your skillset as well.

So, lemme try to perceive things from afar.

1. Your'e getting more comfortable with higher entry speeds
2. You're getting more comfortable with trailing deeper into the corner
3. You're getting more comfortable with carrying more speed through the corner

You can't up the skillset of three or four other skills and leave others lagging behind. When the bike starts giving you signals that something is up... this is a clue where BALANCE of skills may come into the play. Here is an example;

Rider starts to get faster
Rider starts to run near the very, very edge of the tire
Rider starts to complain the bike slips traction at apex/post apex
Rider hardly gets off the seat
Going slower will prevent the slip ups, but what else does said rider need to do that will help the rider reach their goal and AKA balance out their skills vs the goal faster pace?

So your next outing you plan to move your brake marker so you don't need to trail as much or as hard. Ok, that is cool but you're ignoring the skill improvement you needed to avoid the crash all together. Any clue what it was? I will give you a hint, you were choppy with a transition.

Resetting a bit is a good thing. Get yourself back to 100% control where you were before the off. Cool... But avoiding the issue will not help you out when you are ready to starting carrying more speed, trailing deeper into corners again, ect. ect... Now you are right back where you started.

Again, what you are missing is this; "what skill do you work on to allow you to trail deeper and carry more speed?" BALANCE! Feel me?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.