Thread: Rear tire?
View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2016, 06:17 AM   #5
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
There are a number of issues with a stock Ninjette that could affect how stable it feels. I'd put tire width at the end of that list.
  • The springrates are mismatched. (Front, Rear)
  • There's a good chance neither springrate matches your weight.
  • Stock tires are bias-ply.
  • Stock tires are known more for longevity than performance.
  • Stock 2012 tires are nearing the end of their useful life now, regardless of their mileage.
  • Little Ninjas are known for weak, flexing frames.

I have a 150/60 on my wider aftermarket wheel. I switched from a durable bias-ply tire to a performance radial, so it definitely feels different, but I'm pretty sure the extra 20mm has minimal to no effect.

Here's what going from a 130/70 to a 150/60 looks like.

Keep in mind that going to a wider tire on a wheel that's too narrow will actually pinch it in, causing the profile to be altered, which can lead to less tire in contact with the ground. The 300 uses a 140 rather than a 130, but it also has a wider wheel.

A 150/60 is also getting close to fitment limits. People have had trouble with certain tire models in that size just due to spacing issues from using a different sprocket size.

In my opinion, springing the bike to match your weight and getting modern radial tires like the Pilot Street will do a lot more for you than getting an extra pencil-width of tire.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote