View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #17
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift957 View Post
Are 600's for everybody? No. Are motorcycles for everybody? No. I wouldn't be opposed to the US having a graduated licensing system. I'm a big fan of common sense and good judgment, which we all know not everyone possesses these days. IMO, it's an individual basis.
Sure, but most people think they're an above-average driver, and that's statistically impossible. When people read that, they think "Nah, I'm not lying. I'm not kidding myself. They are." Combined with thoughts of "If he can do it, I can too," and the issues mentioned in the video regarding displacement vs horsepower and the perception of displacement vs horsepower, you get a situation in which a 600cc bike seems like a perfectly rational thing to do for most people, with a little bit of internal justification. Nobody wants to admit that they're just one of the rest.

Some people, like yourself (allegedly), CAN survive and not crash with an r6 as their first bike. And yeah, I'd go as far as to say that it is an individual basis on whether or not it's right. But, it's hard to honestly evaluate yourself, especially on something so complex with such varying circumstances and situations like riding a motorcycle. A 250cc bike is just a good bike to start on.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.