View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2016, 09:26 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post

Came into a corner, and for whatever reason, didn't countersteer, so I wasn't going to make the turn. Started scrubbing speed, hit the dirt, locked up the rear, started sliding, then something grabbed and it flipped. I thought it was a high-side, but husband's video didn't show that. I was going fairly slow at the time, and video shows not a high-side.
Do you think you mentally accepted you were not able to complete the corner decided to go straight instead?

That's a common reaction, but usually not a good route to take.

Most of the time it's best to just suck it up and lean it in more. The risk is a low-side crash, but the benefit is a completed corner.

On the race track, with lots of run-off, you can get away with heading straight off a corner, but on the street there are too many things in your way to hit.

We've all come in too hot, and most of the time you can make the turn by just cranking over more than you think you should. With good tires and adequate traction (no rocks or sand) you almost always have more lean available than you expect.

Just something to think about.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.