View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2016, 07:06 AM   #28
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
At 20 I had just graduated from Tech School in Auto Body and was working at a large dealership while still living at home. We were young, and they didn't pay us as well as they should have for what we did. That was over 30 years ago.

After working there, fixing major wrecks, for almost 10 years I decided I need a change. Went into professional photography, starting at the bottom in a small studio in town. Still not making much. Boring work. Eventually moved to Chicago and worked for a major player, doing shoots for Nike and Harley. Still doing grunt work and not making much. Then worked as a freelance magazine photographer for almost 10 years, but eventually the industry imploded and I moved on.

Moved again and started a business 4 years ago. All the "benefits" of being self-employed, but difficult and stressful at times. Not much security.

Looking at what some on my friends have done, the smartest ones have gotten jobs with State or Federal agencies, and have pensions. When they retire they will still make more than I do working 50 hours a week. They will have the time and money to enjoy their passions (like cycle riding). My wife is a RN, and as the joke goes, she makes twice as much as me for working half as hard (an exaggeration, but still...).

Choosing the right education and career pays off many times over. Looking at the long-term and making a good decision now will benefit you your entire life.

Aim high.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.