View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:02 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
When I first bought a motorcycle, I wanted to get skillful enough to take the license test on it. It was a 1972 Kawasaki H2, and I especially didn't want to fail the skills test on it, since it would evoke a lot of "I told you that bike is too big for a beginner" comments. Since the test was all low speed stuff, I did a lot of low speed maneuvering in parking lots and on the street in front of my house. I got to where I could do a figure-8 the hard way, across the street, without putting a foot down. The practice was worth it, and I did fine on the test.

I'm a big fan of practicing my weak areas until they're not weak. If tight U-turns are your current weak area, go somewhere safe and practice them. You can mark a parking lot or dead-end street with chalk or cardboard boxes, or anything handy, and repeat the U-turns, both right and left, until they're easy for you. It might take a week or two of 20 minutes a day, or something equivalent. Then move on to the next weakest link in your chain of riding skills.

One that comes to mind that's very important to practice is extreme stopping. I mean the kind that is likely to lift the rear wheel off the pavement, or close to it. That's one we all need to practice occasionally, to keep it automatic.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.