View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2016, 02:58 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
The next generation of motorcyclists, and how to keep them alive

Now, in this post, I'm going to make some generalizations based on my own anecdotes. If your own experience contradicts mine, please let me know. This is also a long one, but I think it's an important discussion. Please let me know what you think.

With the popularity of motovlogging, motovlogging has started to become a lot of peoples' first introduction to motorcycling. It becomes more and more of a realistic possibility to these 15-20something year olds that they could also start doing this. All they need is a bike and a gopro. The most popular of these vloggers are those who do squiddy things like burnouts, buying a bike too big for them, never looking to expand on their technique, arguing with motorists, stunting in places that don't call for it, and quite a few other things. It's more and more often that I see motorcycles with a YummiR6 sticker on them, and that concerns me.

In short, motovloggers don't seem to bring in new riders. They just bring in new squids. I don't think all of these people are squids at heart, though. I'd wager that a lot of them simply don't know any better, and see the bike as an opportunity to connect with a whole new culture of people, and motovlog squids are all they happen to be exposed to.

Now, I'm all for personal freedom and being yourself. Just as much, though, I'd like these folks to learn what they can, and would like legitimately useful information to be more accessible. I admire what the ninjette forum is. It has a level of wisdom and kindness that rivals /r/motorcycles, and that's quite something. Trouble is, these forums are a tiny blip in terms of motorcycling on the internet. I'd like information on riding technique, ego management, and all the important stuff to be more easily exposed. I found this forum because I searched "ninja 250 forums," the day I got my bike, because I love to soak up information on things that I'm passionate about. Not everyone is the same way.

So, how does ninjette, or the resources ninjette relies on, become more accessible to the motovlogging community?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote