View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2022, 07:44 AM   #1
Thouse
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2001 EX250

Valve adjustment price in 2022

Hello everyone.

I am in a strange place with getting the valve adjustment done on my 01 250 with 5500ish miles.

I am the third owner. Who knows if the first valve adjustment at 500-600 miles was ever done. I really like to try to take good care of my equipment. Of course the enthusiast community swears by getting the valve adjustment done. However, as I wander into local dealers I have been asking "how much" to get some idea of what a valve adjustment may cost. Ideally I wouldn't have a stealership do this work I would have an independent mechanic do it but there seems to be only 1-2 in my area and they wont answer their phones (lol).

Anyway. The range of reply's I have gotten range from "don't bother (gotten this 2x)" to "we haven't done one on a ninja of that age in about 8 years but we'll do it" and the general range seems to be about 300-400$ depending on if they just need checked or actually shimmed. This seems insane but they are stating if they have to adjust it'd be like 4 hours of work at the usual 75-85$ an hr of labor.

So this is a complicated question. I'd like to have this done but I don't really want to spend 400$ for a dingus that doesn't even want to do it on a 21 year old motorcycle worth 2k at best. I wasn't blind to this upcoming need when purchasing the bike but the whole situation has left a terrible taste in my mouth. Not only do the people who seem "qualified" to do it seem hugely disinterested but they want a kidney to do it.

That leaves doing it myself but I am super reluctant to try as I not very mechanically inclined. Any input appreciated!

Merry Christmas!
Thouse is offline   Reply With Quote