View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #14
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb502 View Post
Thanks for the info. I remember reading a thread about that a while ago. How do I know if I need new steering bearings?
Traditionally you jack up the front wheel by the frame/engine, grab the bottom of the forks and shake fore/aft feeling for any play at the steering head. Have a friend put a finger at the triple and steering head to feel for any movement as you pull/push.

Mine has an automatic sensor, ride at 55 MPH, let go of the bars on flat, level ground and if the bars go into a slow to violent head shake at 50-30 MPH, you probably need them. Be very careful trying this. It gets into a full blown, violent head shake.

I just replaced a severely cupped front tire cause I got headshake as described above at 31 MPH. The tire was obviously trashed but I was wrong. Turns out I needed another 1/2 turn of preload on my steering bearings.

Even the tapered rollers get loose after a few thousand miles on these bikes, well, on my bike! I'm crediting the stem locking ring not having a second locking ring but IDK. This is the second time I've had to reset tension. On my dirt bikes it is usually a set it and forget it deal.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote