View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2023, 05:38 PM   #1
ThatGuyInTheKilt
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 YZF600R

Need some troubleshooting help

So, to start with, I'm pretty mechanically capable. Give me a car and I'll strip it down to the last bolt and put it back without losing a screw. Bikes are a bit different.
I bought my 07 Ninja250 from a kid that said it had a leaky petcock and that it had been sitting for awhile. I got the impression that it was 5+ years. It's been a year(ish) since I bought it.

Note: I have pictures, but I don't remember how to add them on this old style forum)

Here's my problems. I.have a loose hose connected to the top of the coolant reservoir with no apparent place it should connect with. I'm guessing this should just hang below the bike to drip as needed.

The petcock is indeed leaking from a gasket. I'm having trouble finding one that I'm sure fits the bike.

A secondary issue is that one of the hose ends is open with no hose connected to it (the hose nipple toward the back of the bike). I did find a short hose that I THINK is supposed to be connected to it. That hose connects to the underside of the carbs if I'm identifying things correctly.

The air filter had completely broken down and was soaked in oil. In addition, the PCV was pushing oil in to the filter box, which then dripped out of a hole in the back left corner. Which had it dripping on the exhaust. A bike mechanic said that was likely due to too much oil. It did indeed have too much oil, I drained and changed the oil and filter, so that should be fixed. I still need a filter, but I'm more sure of having the correct part there.

Last, there's a hose nipple on the seat side of the tank with no apparent hose that should be connected to it. I rather doubt that loose coolant hose is supposed to be connected to it!

It's not really running currently since I have to leave the petcock switched to off, but it runs like a top with some starting fluid sprayed into the intake.
I'm sure most or all of this information is sitting in front of my face, but I've been looking for hours and I'm just not seeing it.
ThatGuyInTheKilt is offline   Reply With Quote