Old September 10th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #60
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappy View Post
Again it's related to street bike tires' contact patch area and how it affects traction.
Thank you for calmly explaining that to me instead of getting huffy and talking down to me. I appreciate that.

But I get that. I understand mechanics pretty well. I haven't gotten to more concentrated classes dealing with tires yet, but basic physics are well within my grasp.
Credentials: ME sophomore. I'll get to the harder classes and more practical applications soon.

Anyhow, I know that a lower pressure tire conforms better to whatever is under it, and is therefore more likely to find grip on an irregular surface. Imagine leaning over during a turn as one giant angled irregularity. Wouldn't a wider tire (forget tire compound atm, that's just an extra variable that I'm trying to ignore for my grasping a concept's sake) form to that angled surface better than the same tire that is narrower? It will still have the same coefficient of static friction, and will still be able to deliver the same amount of grip per unit area, but over a larger area than the same tire in a narrower width right? Which means that the wider tire could then deliver more centripetal force for a turn if the rider chooses to go faster, or open the throttle more. There is more "reserve" essentially correct?

I get that from a simple point of view, the bike only weighs a fixed amount: a wider tire will have a wider footprint, but the same normal force is delivered, so the friction will be the same, just spread out more. That's simple pressure vs area relationship.

But I'm more interested in turning, where there is a lot more turning force placed on the tire, and so far, we've proven that riders can demand more grip than any tire ever made can deliver, because MotoGP racers keep lowsiding/highsiding
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote